Clock-Face and Looking-Glass
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for Paranormal Emergencies

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

[Important] New URL and Forum Move

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Broeckchen
Admin

Date of Registration : 2012-12-06

[Important] New URL and Forum Move Empty
PostSubject: [Important] New URL and Forum Move   [Important] New URL and Forum Move EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 6:24 am

I have registered the URL "LookAtTheTime.com" for the forum, it's already possible to access the forum via that URL thanks to the magic of redirects.

However, to be less dependent on a third-party-service, I am currently trying to create a copy of the forum on my own server that we can move to. This will happen both OOG and IG, but I will probably not bring it up IG before I can be sure that I've moved the files successfully.

If I succeed, I will leave the old forum up for quite a while, changing the title to "Moved to [URL]". However, if you all get used to using the new URL right away, you'll already be redirected to the new forum as soon as it's up and running.

Some posts made between now and then might disappear upon moving, since I'm already downloading the forum today but don't know how quickly I can manage transferring the data to the version on my own server. The process is weirdly complicated, since Forumotion doesn't have a native export function so I'm working with some user-developed scripts, half-improvising.

Other than this possible small gap in posts, there should be no major changes to your disadvantage. I will likely use the opportunity to remove all remaining stuff in the way of advertising so the forum is ad-free for everyone, even without an ad-blocker. If everything works out, the whole functionality of the forum should otherwise stay intact, and maybe I can even bring in some more custom work.

But mainly, the new server will probably be more stable. Not that Forumotion had been down constantly, but I remember that we had some downtimes before. It might still happen, but the support on the new server is much better - I can basically call these people whenever to have instant customer support. The luxuries of having a personal server.

And... I can backup the forum at any time then.

This might never work out, but I felt like a notifier ahead of time would be in order. If you have any advice for me concerning this, feel free to contact me or post it here!
Back to top Go down
Zab

Date of Registration : 2012-12-05

PostSubject: Re: [Important] New URL and Forum Move   [Important] New URL and Forum Move EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 12:17 pm

Sounds like a plan, dude!

So when its on the new server, it would look like a totally different, like, custom forum, right?
o:
Back to top Go down
RedQueen
Admin
RedQueen

Date of Registration : 2012-12-05

PostSubject: Re: [Important] New URL and Forum Move   [Important] New URL and Forum Move EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 10:58 am

I might not customise it much past making a new banner, but if anyone wants to give the forum a new look (for example with prettier title bars for the areas) I'd love to see their ideas.
Back to top Go down
https://lookatthetime.rpg-board.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Important] New URL and Forum Move   [Important] New URL and Forum Move Empty

Back to top Go down

[Important] New URL and Forum Move
Page 1 of 1